Today is the day we remember and celebrate Jesus predicting his own death and walking out of his own tomb on the third day. Let me share with you a few reasons why I believe that the resurrection actually happened:
1. The disciples go from cowards to courageous.
2. The women are listed as the first witnesses (women were looked down on in first century Israel). You don’t have them as the first witnesses unless that is how it happened.
3. Jesus family, i.e. Mary worships him. Would someone actually worship their own son unless they knew he rose from the dead?
4. The Jewish believers changed ancient traditions; for example they changed their day of worship from the sabbath to Sunday. Anyone who knows religious people know that change comes hard. Yet there was a radical shift in practice because of the resurrection.
5. The church began in Jerusalem where people could investigate the tomb and the story of the resurrection. They could check with the eye witnesses (of which there were over 500).
6. An enemy of Jesus such as Saul of Tarsus was converted into the world’s greatest missionary because he said he had an encounter with the living Christ.
7. A skeptical, monotheistic Jew (Doubting Thomas) fell down before the risen Christ and cried out “My Lord and My God.” Thomas called Jesus, a man, God. That’s stunning.
These are just some of the reasons I believe; hopefully you’ll find them helpful.
Under His Mercy,
Journey Christian Church